You know those little fake pollen bits you see used in paper flower making... Anatomically they're called stamen but in paper flower world they're called pips. And they're not so cheap for something called a pip! You'd think they'd just cost pip cents each. Well some are reasonably priced but I've become enamored with the vintage glass variety. I figured I could make something similar. So I did. Pip! Pip! Hurray! You can to!
— Cotton String
— Bees Wax
— Nail Polish (multiple colors)
— Aluminum dish (for making a double boiler)
— Wax Paper
— Lidded Jar
— Crayons (optional)
Making your pips
1. Get your wax melting in a double boiler while you're setting up the rest of your materials and work area. I used a pan on my stove filled with water and set to simmer. I put my wax in a disposable aluminum container and floated it in the water.
2. Lay out a sheet of wax paper on your work surface.
3. Cut several lengths of string roughly 18 inches each. Each string will make 6 pips.
4. When your wax is liquid begin to dip strings one at a time. I dipped the string making a spiral pattern and then pulled the string straight out of the wax. It will dry nearly instantly when it hits the air. Lay your waxed strings flat on your work surface.
5. Cut off the end of the un-waxed string where you were holding it. Cut each string into thirds.
6. Dip the ends of each smaller string back in the wax 2-3 times. Alternate sides to allow for cooling. A ball of wax will be created on each end forming the pip!
7. Lay the pips on top of a jar to finish cooling so the waxed orb shape doesn't get a flat side.
8. Fold each pip in half and dip the each pip in nail polish of your choosing.
9. Tape the ends of the pips to a jar or ledge to allow to completely dry. (I tested a lot of ways to dry the pips without letting them touch each other and this was the best I found).
Pip pip hurray! You can easily vary your pips with color of nail polish or by adding a crayon to your melted wax. I also tried out using alcohol inks. They worked out great but I preferred using up some of my nail polish. There's only so many times you can paint your nails yellow.
After you've made your pips and made some paper flowers bury your nose in them and you'll discover it smells like honey! How perfect.